agosto 01, 2006

route with a gap

I booked my flight to Quito! 1st September.

Then I confirmed my place on a six week spanish course there.

THEN I looked up temperatures in Quito .... between 8 and 19 degrees, year round.

Aaaargh.

So the next two problems are:

1. How to get across the Darien Gap?

Answer: by sea through the caribbean, I think. I can fly from Surinam's Paramaribo to Trinidad, and I hope boat from there.

2. Where else to go in S America, before I hit central America / the sea.

The places I had wanted to go were Guyana, Trinidad, Venezuela (largely because it's next to the Caribbean / sea routes to central America).
The places I wanted to avoid were the Peru-Bolivia backpacker route (because it's a backpacker gap year route), Brazil (because I've been there, and because you get mugged), Colombia (because you get mugged, kidnapped, knifed, etc).
But the easiest way to travel along the northern bit is the Amazon, which means going via a bit of Peru at least, and via Manaus in northern Brazil.
It occurred to me I'd always wanted to go along the Amazon in northern Brazil, but the other way around, the romantic east-west boat trip to the interior: Recife - Belem - Manaus: and somehow I didn't want to spoil that pristine trip by buggering it up with real factual knowledge of just the exotic bits of it.
Worse, almost every country requires you to arrive with a ticket out of there pre-booked. AKA, you need to decide your time limit and route out of every country before you're allowed into it.
(I know this routine - it invariably means that the FABULOUS places you hear about en route are out of your time-limit and you can't go there.)

25% of the world was pink

So I started reading around the region, and bloody hell:
  • French Guiana* and Suriname sound stunning - much more the sort of place I enjoy than Macchu Picchu or the damn Andes.
  • Guyana turns out to be one of the most dangerous spots you can go to right now: along the lines of 'don't go ANYWHERE alone'.
  • And the Colombian coastal town of Cartagena sounds interesting too.
So now I'm stumped about planning a route across the top of the landmass.
(The other places I really don't want to cut out of the itinerary are Cuba and Mexico.)

How in hell do you cover a ton of countries, with pre-booked tickets out of there, without losing your mind or doing it all too fast?

[* French Guiana is /still/ a French colony.
So it's part of the EU, trades in the Euro,
and the addresses are via France, not the Americas.
Bloody weird.]

14 Advice:

Blogger eroica said...

oh don't be such a snob. peru and bolivia have a lot more to them than a bunch of 19 year olds. go forth and find something to change your opinion. i dare you.

agosto 02, 2006 9:48 a. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

I understand that, but:
1. It's cold. My internal thermometer has adjusted to the point that a British heatwave is too cold for me. It's going to feel VERY cold.
2. I'll probably be going through them anyway en route.
3. I can't go to EVERY country in south America.
4. I just spent 12 months sharing hotels with gap year kids. I think I've served my sentence more than most.
5. All the good things in Peru and Bolivia are kind of half my sort of thing (like ancient civilisations, mountain plateaus, beachlife), whereas the good things along the northern coast are 100% my sort of thing (like countries where colonialism has left Indian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Chinese, Dutch, French, African AND British communities behind in the same place - can you imagine the languages? the food? the culture? Add that to the history of penal colonies, naval intrigues and the caribbean on your doorstep. That gets my travel nodes quivering)

agosto 02, 2006 12:11 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

The Dutch side of my family used to own plantations in Surinam in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. When I was a boy I inherited my mother's stamp album, which she'd inherited from some aunt or other, I think, and it was full of exotic stamps from South America. I used to dream of going to live in Surinam, though I had no idea what it might be like. I suspect what mental picture I had of it was actually based on scenes from Tintin in the Congo. Not very PC at all.

agosto 03, 2006 10:58 a. m.  
Blogger eroica said...

*bowing my head in shame*
you win, you are supremely supreme in your right-ness.
*not poking my tongue out at you at all*

agosto 13, 2006 10:19 a. m.  
Blogger Karen said...

and i don't know who was the fucker that made it impossible for me to get to your other site. i am informed that i am forbidden, that i dont have the permission to access sarsparilla on this server

agosto 13, 2006 11:58 a. m.  
Blogger Lux said...

Go to the Galapagos and see the turtles.

agosto 15, 2006 12:54 a. m.  
Blogger eroica said...

yes, please do go to the galapagos. you remember my friend petrina?she says you have to. coz it is totally and utterly worth the money.
and i want to see a photo of a blue footed boobie on this here blog.
and the galapagos would just be sooooo coooooooool.
*g*

agosto 26, 2006 6:13 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

What about the Iguazu Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border? They are supposed to be absolutely spectacular.

Vicky Highrise

agosto 26, 2006 6:57 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Yes, VERY good call. I massively regretted not seeing them last time I was in Brazil. But ... I don't want to go that far south.
So I'm consoling myself with the Angel Falls in Venezuela - apparently the world's highest - though not bordering three countries, like Iguacu/Iguazu do.

Incidentally, have you been to the cafe at the rear corner of Selfridge's lately? They renamed it Iguazu, after the Argentinian part of the falls. Good cocktails.

agosto 26, 2006 8:15 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Lux: that was my prime motivator in choosing to start in Ecuador. :)

agosto 26, 2006 8:15 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I have a good friend who just moved to Cartagena. If you decide to go there I could ask her for some tips for you.

septiembre 03, 2006 6:15 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Where´s Cartagena? < looks embarrassed >

septiembre 04, 2006 2:29 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I thought you had mentioned it in your blog. In fact, and I quote, you wrote "And the Colombian coastal town of Cartagena sounds interesting too." So yes, it's in Colombia.

Are you in Quito yet? Ya estas en Ecuador?

septiembre 04, 2006 7:21 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Oh. duh. Yeah. :))

Si, soy en Ecudaor ahora ... yo pienso.
[Yo puedo escribir en español por la primera vez!]

septiembre 05, 2006 3:17 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home