octubre 03, 2005

Not bombed yet

and necessary
and necessary,
originally uploaded by digitalia.
Yeah, I was meant to be in Indonesia right now, but as you can tell by the trillions of photos I'm pasting over flickr, I'm neither there nor dead.

I switched lots of flights to stay for 5 weeks in Fiji - there are points when you just can't face hostels and moving and a new flight every week any more, and this was one.
Spent my time in horribly remote locations - saw a tourist at one point open up a laptop during a local ceremony, and was shocked at how horrified I was by his rudeness. I think I'd become accustomed to the idea of a world without wires. At last.

I'll be in Singapore next week, meeting wifflewiffle, who really should still be blogging, then Malaysia and then Indonesia, a little later than planned to avoid the 12th October anniversary.

Fuck terrorists. I'm still going.

5 Advice:

Blogger Sal said...

tell him hi and hug from me. and get him to take you to a/ that uber-nifty low-rise towerblock that is the electronic epicentre of south-east asia (just off the river/canal), and b/ that groundfloor of that expensive hotel out the back of the cricket field that has that hour-burning fuckoff fountain, jetting like dancing.

i'd say to go ultra-local, but the indonesian terrorists are killing way more locals than tourists. stick to street-stalls, maybe.

octubre 03, 2005 3:13 p. m.  
Blogger wifflewiffle said...

Alright I know what a/ is but b/ has me completely confused, I've no idea what it is!

octubre 05, 2005 12:11 p. m.  
Blogger Sal said...

*thinking back 7 years to the time i worked there for 3 days*

from Raffles Place, walk along the open pedestrianised area to the river. here you can turn left and walk along past the restaurants then cross over the bridge to that ubernifty ultragadgety electronics place. but don't do that. not yet. not now. now instead you're going to turn right and walk along the river. you'll come to a tiny pedestrian bridgelet on your left (since that's where the river is)- cross over it and cross the mini park there that couples use for family-escaping purposes after dark. on the other side, there's a cricket field, and looming behind and to the right of the cricket field is a yooj hotel complex. the hotel has one or two high towers, and beneath and to their right is an multilevel groundlevel-ish shopping mall. all crisply air-conditioned for pedestrian joy.

skip past the cricket field and the couple of blocks further on to the hotel, circle to the right to enter the mall at ground level at the pointy end pointying to your right as you observed it from afar.

and inside in front of you is this wonderful fountain.

octubre 05, 2005 5:01 p. m.  
Blogger Sal said...

and if you can remind what the name of the hotel is, i'd be most grateful.

octubre 05, 2005 5:02 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

I'm still at that jet lag point where I'm slightly behaviourally confused about the difference between UP and DOWN, so will try following your directions once my brain catches up with my body at the weekend. :)

octubre 06, 2005 2:51 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home