octubre 11, 2005

To dive or not to dive?

Malaysia and Indonesia are proving super duper expensive / super duper difficult to organise for diving.

If I dive in Malaysia, at the world class reef at Sipadan, it'll cost me 1250 GBP.
If I dive in Indonesia, at Bunaken Reef, it'll cost me another 800 GBP.

But a travel Malaysia by train first class pass is 40 GBP. I'd be high, dry, possibly bored, but I could travel further, harder, longer.

Which to do?


Footnote I chose the diving. Live-aboard diving boats. Half the price, twice the diving. Rah.

7 Advice:

Blogger Sal said...

!!

hold your money and hit the oz barrier reef later in your trips, which all the globally-travelled divers eulogise as far and away the best they've ever been to. and you WON'T pay ~A$25k for the privilege... (!!)

octubre 11, 2005 3:55 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

There's one too many digits on the first figure (should read 1250 GBP), but blogger doesn't often work with internet cafes, so I have to write stuff in flickr and then can't adjust it after.

Yeah, of course I want to dive the GBR, BUT it's not on this itinerary, (I want to dive Galapagos before the Barrier), and though a world class reef, it's also a very dived reef.
The ones I'm trying to decide whether or not to visit in Mysia and Indo are world class reefs on exactly the same level as GBR, but deserted in comparison. Witness, diving the Great Astrolabe, I only ever saw 3 other boats on the ocean, none of which were dive boats. I dunno if you can imagine how tame and isolated the fish are when you dive somewhere like that. Ever had a rare fish swim right up to you to investigate, with no one else around? Now imagine what that's like with manta rays.

The lack of divers is what compels about these sites. The first one, Sipadan, was closed in January to protect the site, and has a cap on how many divers are allowed to visit, with permits. Hence the hike in price.

As you can tell, I'm suddenly having a 'hell YEAH you can do it' day.

octubre 12, 2005 3:06 a. m.  
Blogger eroica said...

i'm glad you're having one of those days. it sounds brilliant... do it do it do it! and post lots of pics.
oh, i got your fiji postcard today sweet girl. thank you! *kiss*

octubre 12, 2005 5:15 a. m.  
Blogger Sal said...

humans remember Intensity rather than Duration.

octubre 12, 2005 9:23 a. m.  
Blogger Karen said...

ARGH!

octubre 12, 2005 3:04 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Sal: it's spelt 'intensity', not 'Intensity'. I assume that means you vote go, dive? Good. That's what I committed myself to.


Frog: yeah; I'm really sorry about how rubbish that card was. Yours and Sarah's were written at 3am waiting for a plane, just as I realised I'd addressed and stamped too late to write a proper card. Ooops.

Karen: Still keep asking you, all over the place, if I can get to Manila easily from Borneo or Ha Noi?

octubre 12, 2005 3:21 p. m.  
Blogger Karen said...

I think I answered you in the other blog - but I don't know about Borneo if you there is a flight from Borneo to Manila. There is no direct flight from Hanoi to Manila - you have to take a transfer from Bangkok then to Manila.

If you go to Manila, either I have to meet you there or you go to the island where I am currently chained (not really, the only chaining that is being done to me is the one that P is adept at doing). Email me if and when you are going to take a side trip to the Philippines :)

octubre 13, 2005 1:05 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home