junio 07, 2002

Brazil

Gimme some advice!

Do you know of any people / places / hotels / restaurants / bars / guides / resources in this country that you think would be unmissable?

I desperately need your advice, tips and recommendations. What's more, I have a memory like sliced slurry, and whatever you tell me in a drunken fug by the Thames is already gone: I need it written down.

Stick your advice in the comments - pleasepleaseplease, and I'll add it onto this main post as soon as I hit a country with a proper broadband connection...

Cheers, me dears...





I'll be trying to get from Ecuador or Peru via the Amazon up to Venezuela or French Guiana. I might skip this bit by flying, but as I've skipped up from 16 flights per lifetime to 50 in the past year, boat travel could be less guilt-inducing.
Whatever. If I go by boat, it will be through the upper reaches of the Amazon, north west of Manaus.
In October or November 2006:





Sarah D says: Get yourself to Manaus, to see not just the city but check out the Opera House and the Meeting Of The Waters.
Outside the city, it's really difficult to find ways to get into the amazon that aren't hellishly touristic (usually involve petting chained monkeys/sloths/aligators while indigenous people perform "dances" for you) so try Pousada Amazonia - it's just cool. Well worth it.

The nurse who gave me typhoid says: when in Manaus, ask for a taxi, and bribe them to take you to see the pink dolphins.

6 Advice:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Get yourself to Manaus, to see not just the city but check out the Opera House and the Meeting Of The Waters.

Outside the city, it's really difficult to find ways to get into the amazon that aren't hellishly touristic (usually involve petting chained monkeys/sloths/aligators while indigenous people perform "dances" for you) so try Pousada Amazonia (http://www.pousadaamazonia.com.br/) - it's just cool. Well worth it.

junio 08, 2005 6:53 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Trust me, go to Pousada Amazonia and the pink dolphins are just - there. I meant to add in that comment, it's run totally by nutty Brazillian guys who bought a patch of land and built a hut. They don't need to chain the animals up or pen the River Dolphins, because they know when they take you out Pirhana fishing, you'll see some anyway.

Also, Manaus was the only place I've ever seen a dead guy in the street. Big Brother lived in brazil for nearly a year; I can ask him about the places you're planning to go to?

junio 08, 2005 10:26 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

"Brasil hmm. Id say dont bother with Brasilia unless shes a fan of wierd architecture and go to Rio instead or Salvador if shes staying in the north."

junio 09, 2005 9:38 a. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

I don't want to go to the southern areas (been to Rio already, and it's expensive), but I do really want to see the architecture at Brasilia - spot on. (For the same reason, I want to visit Chandigarh in India). Salvador's a nice idea, but isn't it much further south?

junio 09, 2005 1:58 p. m.  
Blogger Sal said...

BSAG just came back from a Brazil trip raving about the wildlife in the Pantanal

link, but also look at the posts around that one for more info.

octubre 07, 2005 6:36 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Galapagos is my new Project Paradise.

octubre 08, 2005 9:03 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home