agosto 26, 2006

struck dumb

Bristol Cathedral windows
I got the address of my host homestay family in Ecuador, and suddenly The Terror has me wondering why, at 36, I suddenly need to speak Spanish?

I mean, I'm British: undergoing total immersion in a language isn't going to work, I should have learnt that at 14.
I'm simply going to revert to sign language and photographs, aren't I?

And there's three days of jetlag plus altitude sickness in which I have to communicate with the Benitez-Herrera family sufficiently to be fed, dried, ignored politely, and any stray insects calmly removed - the point of the escapade is that they don't speak any English, and I ... well, I studied a few phrases on a flight to Mumbai a while back, and learnt 'como dice' and 'buenos tardes'.

And I already know 'paella', 'salsa' and 'tortilla' type words.

'Cerveza'?
I know from stumbling, halting conversations in deutsch (with etiquette-challenged north germans in various konditorei this year) that simply speaking faster and louder in one's home language at someone struggling to follow, leads only to loud and angry altercations where I start shouting random german phrases.

This may not go down well in someone's family home.
Oh boy.
[They have two little girls, aged 14 and 8. I know any Brazilian would always bring a gift when visiting someone's home. Any suggestions on what gift to bring the Benitez Herrera family from the UK?]

6 Advice:

Blogger Lux said...

for a gift: just bring something English that's popular with children where you live. A little toy or piece of jewelry or something.

even if you end up shouting random spanish phrases, I'm sure it won't sound as confrontational as random shouted german phrases.

agosto 26, 2006 4:34 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

A Wigan or a Reading football replica shirt might be a good (albeit probably expensive) gift. Both clubs have Ecuadoran players on their team.

Don't make the random Spanish shouting too random.

www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode09.htm#1

agosto 29, 2006 11:18 a. m.  
Blogger mc said...

Language immersion does work, even at 36... really.

agosto 29, 2006 8:41 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

For the 8-year old you could get one of those little bears dressed as bobbies that are ubiquitous in London souvenir shops for a quid or two. For the older a girl, a t-shirt with something in English perhaps?

Paella or tortilla won't be very useful vocabulary words in Ecuador...

septiembre 03, 2006 6:10 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Check this out: http://www.moon.com/planner/ecuador/mustsees/lagunacuicocha.html

septiembre 03, 2006 7:10 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Funny - I actually got the teddy bear.
And lots of notebooks and money boxes and stuff covered in London symbols or union flags, on the basis that only in England is flag waving considered gauche.
And some humbugs and jam from Harrods for mama.

Ysengrin: you´re right. It´s terrifying, but it does work.

septiembre 04, 2006 2:27 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home