junio 08, 2005

Updates

What's been happening, as brief as I can make it: I paid an arm and a leg to get a second, private dentist's opinion about my crippling toothache (£400 and it can be sorted within a fortnight).

I crashed my car, totalled it, I believe, alongside my dignity. Just after I sold it to S--. Damn. The garage it got towed to lost if several times over (in their bloody own backyard), so no joy on finding out if I get scrap value reimbursed.

Lost my spectacles. Now there's only the pair I slept in left - the ones the optician said would probably last nine more days back in February.

S-- said she didn't need any of the stuff she's stored for five years in P--'s garage, and that I can chuck it all out if I like. P-- didn't sound so optimistic; pointed out that place is suffused with damp. So still without a place to store my stuff for three years.

F-- travelled from the next country along to come stand next to me offering advice while I spunked nearly five hundred: on a backpack (Loewe Alpine), a sleeping bag (1.2kg), trainers (North Face; extra cushioned heel, cos I'll be pounding pavements more than mud), torches (on elastic), cotton sack liner (cooler than silk), travel towel (ugly green and lovely; have a thing about old towels, me), iodine tablets (ew), mozzie spray (ew), and gave me lots of advice about socks.

The store I wanted to get stuff from had a clueless Saturday boy in, so I felt totally underconfident about buying there, and went elsewhere instead - where they overcharged me by £85, necessitating another spree. D-- and F-- disagreed somewhat vehemently about safety versus lightness of load.

Got a wire plastic combi padlock and the extremely urgently necessary offer of advice about financial stuff and equipment stuff and safety stuff from D-- when I go back to get my card refunded. And even more advice about socks.

E-- suggested I'm drowning in advice; need to ignore everyone and do what I damn well like.

Not true.

I need advice. Without advice I make serious-consequence mistakes.

I'm asking you now to step up with any advice. I will use it.
Had enormous nightmares about everyone I know being hacked into pieces. Woke up to discover I'd gone to bed in a basement flat with the front door open, all windows open, and a £2k tax refund cheque on the table. And I wonder about the imaginary threats...

2 Advice:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Best advice whilst spending large amounts of time in foreign cultures: stand up for yourself. Really, really hard. I wish I had.

also, the sleeping bag + liner are the best purchases you made. Trust me; I once spent 4 months living in a tent; and the five months in greece I slept in a sleeping bag. Make sure you unzip it and shake it out each night!

junio 08, 2005 12:30 a. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

The bag I got was bought primarily to be light, and to survive five months of not being used, against the one it probably will be.

And yes, I know what you mean.

junio 09, 2005 1:52 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home