noviembre 19, 2005

So where've you been? 9 Singapore again

Singapore is lovely. It's like coming home, somehow.

I spent a week resting and eating and chatting to tourists, some of whom were interesting, although the most interesting of which were not. Bizarrely.
I lay down in a hot hostel, freezing at 22 degrees centigrade, clad in all my woollies, and cursing the acclimatisation, and chatting to a girl from Derry.
She'd spent one day in Singapore, and had "seen all there is to see" (this translated as the zoo).
She commented on my flight to Vietnam in a day or two; apparently she'd seen "everything" in Vietnam, been "everywhere", and had ultimately, she felt, spent "too long" there. (Two and a half weeks.)
So bored was she with Singapore (my lovely Singapore!), that she was off to KL tomorrow. "Do you think KL is a one night city or a two night city?"

Speechless.


Eventually she asked me, with an air of absolute rectitude, if I thought her wrong about Singapore, if I thought there were anything worth seeing here that she could see.

"No," I concluded, imagining her dismissal of Geylang Serai, of the boats, of the warm-hearted people, of Little India, of the hawker centres, of Fort Canning, of Bishan's temples, of the little secret places you discover around Chinatown, "I think it's true. I think perhaps you wouldn't find anything of interest here."