mayo 10, 2006

camera shake

we were so bored that ...
we were so bored that ...,
originally uploaded by digitalia.
My camera keeps dying. Cameras seem to last about three months in humid countries, and this one's been to Everest along the way (I had to rub the battery points just to get a current going most days in Nepal and Tibet).

The first camera upped and died in Fiji.

The first memory card upped and died in Indonesia, losing about a bazillion shots. Losing every shot, as it happens.

feeding the fish

Stupidly, I continued using it. So it upped and died again this January, losing all my shots from the UK, from Germany, from Switzerland, and particularly annoying - all my shots of Chinese New Year festivities in Bangkok.

peanut seller, Panchakki

My spare memory cards got nicked in Nepal, and the camera resolution started to expire in Tibet. I used to set it to 1 or 2 megapixels. Now it's on 4, and looks less defined and clear.

Forced to keep using the duff memory card, it died again. Losing all my photos of the Andaman islands, of Port Blair, of Havelock, and of Kolkata.

It's weird how depressing it was to have no means of taking photographs. My plane to Mumbai passed over the water filled Lonar meteor crater ... and I couldn't take a photograph. I was the very picture of glum, and started to email morose hints about going home.

Two days ago, I rescued all the last batch of photos, got my camera fixed (though in a city filled with 70% humidity in a heatwave, every shot is still blurry as fuck), and bought a new memory card at a knock down price.

... and continued to use the old, faulty one.

Go me.

The Chateau Windsor Hotel