septiembre 08, 2006

Vale

More on la lengua ... it's making my head hurt. I don't speak any english here ... unless I'm reading a novel or writing an email (oh, that's 75% of the day done, then).
> How strange to be in a
> non-english speaking world, I didn't know they existed!


Me either. Everywhere else I´ve been ('cepting China, where you're inferior for not being chinese anyway, so they expect you to be stupid, which is actually rather helpful) they seemed aware that learning their language was hard, so they helped, or praise you as you stumble through it.

Here, nobody speaks english, so why would they be nice to you for speaking a bit of
spanish? Why can't you speak it properly? You tiresome gringo.
Look, we'll slow it down a bit, and that's all we're doing. Speak spanish properly!
Yeah, I'm picking it up quickish*, but... it feels so weird not to be reverting to your home tongue. Not to be able to say what you really mean, or say it with sub-clauses, or in tenses that are even approaching correct. Some days ... well, most days ... I feel like my head can't take another word of this blasted lingo, and go sit on some steps in the sunshine wondering when it'll be easy.

If my profesora tells me an irregular verb, I quite unfairly fix her with a steely look as if she'd made the language difficult quite on purpose, to destroy me.

Perhaps I should calm down, and just speak it spectacularly badly for a day or two.
(* Disclaimer for people I know who are learning spanish where it's not going so quick: I get 20 hours a week of spanish classes, I do another 25 hours a week of revising me spanish, I only speak spanish at home, I only speak spanish outside the home, and on the weekends, I go on extra spanish language outings. Of course it's going quicker than sitting at home with a book.)
Right, Enough. I'm off to Cotopaxi for the weekend.

7 Advice:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Of course it's going quicker than sitting at home with a book which of course is quicker than sitting at home *near* a book.

Spanish is (I have on good authority) the third hardest language in the world. Which might be why I've adopted Homer's philosophy: If something's too hard - quit.

I still *hate* you :)

septiembre 08, 2006 10:37 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

After studying French (and getting my degree in it) for eight years (four years of high school, four years of college) I had my first encounter with someone who spoke no English at all. A Moroccan woman marooned in Idaho with no friends. I became her friend. I never had such headaches in my LIFE. I had never not had the ability to fall back on English for a difficult word or phrase. SO hard to explain yourself with no safety net.

septiembre 09, 2006 2:54 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

In many ways that's what going abroad is like for people who do not have English as their first language.
Have you tried the situation where the local WILL START SPEAKING LOUDER (not slower, not in a more clear, easy to understand fashion, not using different words, just repeating the same thing only LOUDER) when you try to explain that you have problems understanding the language?

septiembre 12, 2006 3:26 p. m.  
Blogger Lectrice said...

Diana: ha. The safety net idea is a nice parallel. I think acting stupid and miming things is my safety net in most countries. Having to make myself understood without doing this is terrifying. I won't let myself, 'cos that means all those hours of study would be wasted.

Anonone: well, I shall be in non-spanish speaking countries for a while after this one (I'm counting Venezuela amongst these, as apparently they butcher every word so much it's impenetrable), so you have some time to catch up before I actually come and visit you. At which point I shall drag you and your partner out for a beer, and we'll see who understands the most lingo in the bar. Deal?

Soren: D'ye know, the only country in the world that's ever happened to me is Germany last month ... here, the worst response is amused guffaws. The cutest is when they repeat the same thing at the same speed, but with REALLY WIDE OPEN EYES, to make you understand it.

septiembre 13, 2006 11:44 p. m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Um. I am confused by the "French Guiana,
c/o France, Europe (!!)". Do I Actually write c/o France, Europe?

And exactly how does an American date format look like?

septiembre 18, 2006 10:18 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Oooops

Hi

I laughed till I almost cried reading this. Oh my god do I know the feeling of Spanish turning more and more complicated the more you learn!

I linked here from my blog. Hope you don't mind.

Johan.ec

octubre 25, 2006 2:36 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Karen: Apparently so. Weird, unh?

Johan: I was about to email you (via flickr) and ask if you knew much / had tips about Vilcabamba? Perhaps I still will. (Reciprocal link will turn up on a different blog, I don't do links on here!)

octubre 25, 2006 1:19 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home